Documentation Errors [Was: naming variables...]

Dennis Brown see3d at writeme.com
Fri May 6 09:27:47 EDT 2005

Brian,

This brings up a good point that has been bugging me for years.  It
is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS that the Rev documentation built in to the
IDE is so full of errors.  How many repeat questions and confusion by
folks trying to learn Rev are the result of wrong or missing
documentation.  Don't get me wrong, I really like the built in Doc.
It is just that even I can read through it and find error after
error.  It seems like it would be so easy for an informed Rev
programmer at RunRev to step through and fix up the doc in a matter
of a week or two.  It takes ten times as much work to make BZ reports
about the errors than it does to just fix them.  I bet a Wiki style
doc file that the users could input to and that could be downloaded
to the IDE if desired could cure the problem.  It would probably
greatly expand the "How Do I"  and simple examples also.  It seems
like lots of people have tried to improve on the docs in various
places on the web, but I don't want to go searching through ten sites
and discussion lists to find a bit of info that should be part of the
built-in docs.

Stupid Doc errors AND small bugs in the IDE that are ignored (because
GOOD programmers can find an undocumented workaround) make a bad
impression about the quality of Revolution.  It is even more damaging
to DreamCard which is aimed at a less sophisticated users.  As users
we can't do much about the programming problems, except complain.
However, if RunRev would empower us, we could do great stuff about
the docs.  Just from being on this list for a few weeks, I can see
the quality of the user community and know that it could work --
especially if it were sponsored and monitored by RunRev.

Go ahead, make my day... tell me it is already in the works  ;-)

Dennis