registry saving.

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue May 3 01:11:54 EDT 2005

Paul Salyers wrote:
> I know that the Mac don't have a registry like windows, but is there way
> to save program information in a place on the Mac where only the program
> has access to it and not prying eyes?

Some might recommend using invisible files, but for myself I find it
disturbing when I discover hidden files apps have written to my drive,
and none of mine do that sort of thing.

And remember that with the Windows Registry things are also wide open --
just do Run->regedit and the world is yours.

Maybe better would be to hide data in custom props in a stack file
that's also used as a critical part of the program.  That way, unlike a
standard Prefs file, if it's deleted the app won't run.

In order to have permissions to save the stack file you'll want to use
the Preferences or Application Support folders.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation