Launching RR from a web page

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Mar 27 02:28:16 EST 2005

Andre Garzia wrote:

> On Mar 26, 2005, at 1:13 AM, Mark Wieder wrote:
>
>> It's not very straightforward (and it shouldn't be) - there are
>> several warnings along the way, and it works for me in IE but not in
>> Mozilla. On the whole, though, I'd rather *not* have apps load and run
>> on my machine from a web page.
>
> I don't want that feature either!!!! it's a nightmare waiting to happen!
> I just wanted to know if it's possible...

Microsoft sees such things as features.
You see them as security exposures.
Malicious hackers see them as opportunities.

Some folks say that the reason we see so many exploits
with Microsoft wares is simply because of their marketshare.  But as
this discussion illustrates, Microsoft designs in a non-defensive mode,
and have for years.  There are dozens of such design decisions from
Microsoft which reinforce this perspective.

Yes, when security concerns with Microsoft products cause something else
to take the market lead, we will indeed see more exploits on  those
successor non-Microsoft systems.  But based on even the little bit I've
observed without really even looking for them, I'll wager that no OS
family will ever be as inherently insecure by design.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation