libURL - more FTP questions

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Sat Mar 26 16:00:31 EST 2005

On Mar 25, 2005, at 5:03 PM, jbv wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Since we're at it, I have a question for those who
> use libURL for uploading large amounts of data
> to a distant server...
>
> I've just been asked by a client to brainstorm on
> the project of a client web app which, among other
> things, should allow the upload of large files (I
> mean REALLY large files : between 40 & 150 Mb).
> Of course, I'm checking the possibility to split those
> files into smaller chunks, but nevertheless I'd like
> to hear the opinion and experience of list members
> who have been using ftp upload in Rev on a regular
> basis...
>
> Thanks,
> JB

JB,

You can break the files in edible chunks and upload the to a server, if
you use the REST ftp command then you can tell it to skip some bytes
before start writing the file, thats how FTP download resume is
possible, and that's possible in upload also, check if the server
supports the REST command, the go uploading a "edible package", after
that upload, go upload the next package but before that tell the server
to skip the bytes that were already uploaded, this would get your
uploads done no matter of how big the files and also, you could even
stop uploading for days if you want, not problem with network down or
stuff like that. I would do as such:

1) get the "big file" size and compare it with the "big file" on the
server.
2) if there was none on the server, would go uploading, if there was
some file there, would check to see how much was already there and skip
those bytes
3) would break the file in 500k and upload the thing, then would go
back to step #1

Good uploading!
andre

Andre Alves Garzia ð 2004 ð BRAZIL