Launching RR from a web page

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Thu Mar 24 14:43:53 EST 2005

Ah, here it is:

http://www.jcraft.com/weirdx/

According to the site, it will handle X11 forwarding over SSH using a
pure-java client, and apparently it can indeed be run as an applet (or
as an application).  It supports XDMCP, so there's your solution:

Set up a custom Linux server which handles XDMCP and forwards X
connections over SSH.  Then set up a custom DMCP environment to launch
your app in a restricted user account, set up apache and this X server,
such that navigating to the web server running on that machine launches
the X server as an applet, which in turn performs an XDMCP query over
an SSH tunnel (or otherwise handles the needed handshaking) and
launches a Linux standalone of your Rev app inside a Java applet in the
users' web browsers.

Might take some work, but hey, if you can get it working, it would meet
your requirements...