Win98 CD-ROM path workaround

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Mon Mar 21 08:38:45 EST 2005

Hi Stephen,

> Folks:
>
> Is there a simple workaround for Win98 breaking
> relative paths on CD-ROMS unless the executable is in
> a subfolder?
>
> To recap: Win98 won't load CD-ROM media if the
> executable is located at the root level. The
> executable and media must be in a subfolder on the CD.
> This workaround is not necessary for OSX, Classic, or
> XP.
>
> Ideally, I'd like to put a shortcut to the executable
> at the root level but Windows hardwires the shortcut
> to the device letter which may be different on
> different machines. Autorun.inf probably won't work
> because it's disabled in XP (as far as I know).
>
> Any help with this would be appreciated.

if possible, use version 2.5.1!

 From the ReadMe:

Bug: Player file references to root of Win32 volume under Win9x/ME
~~~
   On Windows 9x/ME, if the current directory was set to the root of a
volume (e.g. C:\) players would fail to load files referenced relative
this. This has now been fixed and players will successfully load files
relative to the root of a volume on these OSes.

> Steve

Regards

Klaus Major
klaus at major-k.de