using Rev as a batch system

thierry douez at wanadoo.fr
Tue Mar 8 11:11:39 EST 2005

Hi,

>>How to start Rev engine without the IDE, so i can, from
>>my favorite Editor and Perl environment, read, write, update
>>scripts or customs properties in stacks...
>>
>>Still realistic ?

xccc> if you write a stack file parser, im sure many will be intersted...
xccc> GOOD LUCK though!

Oups ! misunderstanding... ( english is not my mother tongue )

Anyway, i do this already with a limited Rev standalone, and
the Perl development but only for Customs properties, which already saves me
a lot of clicks. More, i can use makefiles, CVS, exchange Hashes from Perl
with Rev customs properties.

I thought ( may be that's stupid, but... ) why not extending this idea
with  scripts,.....  for instance, running  a *mimimalist Rev* in the background
which could accepts events ( sockets, other ? ), so set a script of an object,
compile it and save it, and send back the result of the compilation ?

Am i still dreaming ? :-)

The main purpose of this is because i'm mainly working with scripts,
Rev or Perl, and since now i have 2 IDE which is a bit frustrating after hours
and hours of work switching from one to another...

xccc> Otherwise, I wrote my own script editor based on RunRev and
xccc> it's much better than their own...

Well, this is another approach...
but quite a big job too, no :-)

xccc> Normally, you want to just "control" the IDE to run batches
xccc> which is what I thought you wanted...

Sure :-)
i do this a lot already.

thank you for your answer
Regards, thierry