USB (Midi Comunications)

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Sun Mar 6 17:56:57 EST 2005

> On 3/4/05 3:40 PM, Thomas McGrath III wrote:
>> Yes if they have a serial driver. The driver actually does the work
>> of letting the system see via USB to the serial device. I have used
>> it here. Sarah has it in her user space and also at her website.
>
> Don't you need a hardware USB/serial converter? There is a project I
> wanted to do but couldn't because I couldn't read or write to a USB
> device directly -- or so I thought.

Yes, it does need a serial adapter, Keyspan or something similar. This
can plug into a USB port and the serial device (NOT a USB device) can
connect to it. The Keyspan is seen as a serial device although it is
really USB, so the serial commands work.

I can't wait to try out Chipp's USB external.

Sarah