use-revolution Digest, Vol 18, Issue 24

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Mon Mar 7 13:43:53 EST 2005

But the online docs that are present (as far as I know) in every
distribution of Revolution and Dreamcard are the manuals...

Many people, including me have had trouble finding what they were
looking for, but then it's a big language. Familiarising myself with
the various sections of the docs, ie. not just the dictionary, has been
of great benefit to me, and I recommend doing it. I don't say that the
docs are perfect, by any means, but they are comprehensive - witness
how many times an enquiry on this list is dealt with by someone
replying 'check out <whatever> in the docs'. I've often found that that
was all I needed to help with the difficulties that I've had.

I long for a book like Winkler and Kamins HyperTalk book, where every
single command and function in the language is explained in detail,
with a nice clear example of it's use, but then Transcript is orders of
magnitude broader and deeper than HyperTalk, and such a book would be a
truly colossal undertaking. In the mean time, the provided docs
actually do cover everything, though sometimes sparsely, and in those
cases, one of the many kindly and knowledgeable people here will almost
certainly be willing to oblige.

I personally sprung for the printed docs (which are only the online
docs printed out) as I like to browse at random, and It's been well
worth it for me.

Cheers,

Mark