Find and Replace again

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Thu Jun 30 20:12:23 EDT 2005

> Not wishing to be tedious -- Is there consensus that "Find and
> Replace" in version 2.6.x is as fast as the CPU allows? In other
> words, as fast as the "find" command, on the same search in the
> same stack?

Well it's different. The "find" command goes to the next instance
only, while "Find & Replace" lists all the occurrences of the find
string. So which you use depends on your needs at the time.

The speed of the search depends on how much you want to search.
Sometimes I want to search all the stack files in a particular folder
and that can take 10 seconds or so. Searching a single card stack is
almost instantaneous. Searching a stack with lots of cards takes
several seconds.

> I'm reluctant to download 2.6 and try it, having read reports of
> 2.5.1 stacks that don't work right after running on 2.6. Maybe
> that's all fixed now. Not sure. So many topics every day. I'm still
> cautious about premature upgrades.

I have had no problems upgrading to 2.6. Initially there was a bug
with the answer command which caused script problems, but that was
fixed in 2.6.1. The file structure has not changed, so the usual
advice for upgrades applies. Backup your stacks before opening them
in the new version and you can always revert to the old version if
you find a problem.

HTH,
Sarah