Suggestion for correcting the IDE's script editor

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Wed Jun 29 07:49:30 EDT 2005

Hello,

I did not follow the whole thread since the list is growing every day
and due to time difference, I find about 60 new contributions when I
wake up each morning...

But I have to say that I *never* had any problem with the indent
feature:
As long as you consider that indenting is there to help the
programmer to see which control structures are missing or not set
properly, it *must* be an automatic feature :-)
It's a well known behaviour since more than 20 years with all XTalks
(including the tabKey shortcut).
And Rev is an XTalk :-)

Fortunately, Rev auto-complete control structures (repeat, switch,
on, etc.)
This is a welcome enhancement that HC did not provide.
Stay the "if" conditional structures with many ways to write them
(see my article on RevJournal) that are not auto completed for this
matter.
The rule I follow since years is to complete by myself the control
structure before writing the statements.
Above all, it makes nested structures easier to manage.

You might be interested by the Constellation script editor from Jerry
Daniels : it offers to specify how many spaces have to be used for
indentation. http://www.daniels-mara.com/products/constellation.htm

In addition, you might require as a feature the ability to turn off
indentation since only "live" indentation can be turned off at the
moment.
But I'm sure that a huge majority of programmers who are used to
would not turn off this feature ;-)

[OT] The only annoying feature I know relates to colorisation when
you use the /* structure to comment many lines at once: Then all
yours scripts appear as comments :-(
As for the debugger (which is another topic), it's true that it's
very buggy, sometimes unusable and that's a very pity.

Le 29 juin 05 à 03:48, Bob Warren a écrit :

> Here is a line with no indent
>     Here is a line with an indent

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.