Tiger breaks hyperCard?

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Mon Jun 27 15:40:34 EDT 2005

I skimmed the thread on Tiger breaks hyperCard. I wasn't too
concerned at the time.

I'm concluding the process of the OS 9 to OS X transition, once and
for all. I'm on 10.3.9. I see its virtues. So, now I need another
machine capable of running OS X. I'm thinking about Mac Mini, but
they ship with Tiger installed.

I will probably need to run hyperCard in classic mode occasionally,
at least for the next year or so, until my HC-->Rev stacks are
totally solid. I inquired on comp.sys.mac.apps. The main players
there are usually reliable. They say hyperCard works fine on Tiger,
in their experience. So, maybe only certain hyperCard features don't
work? Which ones?

If Tiger breaks hyperCard, it seems like it must break a lot of other
Classic applications also, true?

If Tiger-Breaks-HyperCard (and maybe a lot of other Classic
applications, too) is a serious problem, would it be reasonable to
replace Tiger with OS 10.3.9 on a new Mac Mini? My instincts say,
"Don't try it."

Since I'm on the topic, I don't mind that the Mac Mini is "only" a
G4. The slow system bus speed concerns me, though -- 167 mhz. OTOH, I
am only an occasional user of CPU-intensive applications. Is the slow
system bus a serious bottleneck? I know this is a little OT. Sorry. I
know this is a Rev group, but many of us are former HC users, some
still in transition.

Hey! I didn't complain about Rev this time!

Cheers,

Tim Miller