Choosing printer from within a script

Lynch, Jonathan bnz2 at cdc.gov
Thu Jun 23 12:13:46 EDT 2005

Is this possible in Windows?

What I want to do is create a custom printer dialog. For the most part,
that should not be too difficult. However, choosing which printer you
want to print on is both important, and something for which I do not see
an obvious technique.

There does not appear to be any function like:

  Put the printers into field myField

Or

  Set the printer to myPrinterName

I would use the system printer dialog, except that it causes problems
when trying to print multiple collated copies (windows 2000) - it only
prints one copy. This means, if you want to print multiple copies, you
have to print them unCollated, then collate them yourself after printing
- very annoying.

Are there shell commands that either return a list of available
printers, and that allow you to pick your printer?