revCopyFile under Tiger

Chris Sheffield revlist at cableone.net
Thu Jun 23 10:38:26 EDT 2005

Thanks all.

I probably will end up using the put method, as I intend to compress
the files anyway.  I was just curious about revCopyFile, and whether
or not there was some way to suppress that audio.  Sounds like there
isn't, at least not right now.  There must be some way of doing it,
though, since you can disable those sounds as Devin explained (which
I found right after I posted my initial message).

Anyway, not a big deal, just kind of annoying if you have to copy
several files right in a row.

Thanks again,
Chris

On Jun 22, 2005, at 5:44 PM, Sarah Reichelt wrote:

>> When using revCopyFile under 10.4.1, I'm getting the annoying
>> sound that plays whenever you move/copy a file or folder to
>> another location in the Finder.  In my opinion, revCopyFile should
>> not play that sound, but I'm sure it does just cause it uses
>> system services to do the copy.
>>
>> Anyone found a way to make that sound not play?  Preferably
>> without having to disable something in the OS.  What I'm doing is
>> making a little backup utility, and copying files like that with
>> that sound playing possibly hundreds of times is going to be
>> *really* annoying, to say the least.
>>

> AFAIK, revCopyFile uses AppleScript which calls the Finder, thereby
> producing the Finder noises. Copying using put URL ... into URL ...
> as Jacque suggested would get rid of this noise but might cause
> permissions problems.
>
> A further untested suggestion would be to use the shell command,
> which I think is cp:
>     get shell(cp sourceFile destinationFile)
>
> This MIGHT copy OS X bundles and I think it will preserve any
> permissions.
>
> Cheers,
> Sarah

Chris Sheffield