ANN Daily Crytoquote--my misspelling

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Thu Jun 23 10:39:42 EDT 2005

>Message: 9
>Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:08:45 +0100
>From: Marielle Lange <M.Lange at ed.ac.uk>
>Subject: Re: ANN Daily Crytoquote--my misspelling
>To: use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
>
>>>  My dictionary of 61,000 words comes in at 592 K--similar
>>>  to yours in size. The problem is that it includes a lot of words I've
>>>  never heard of. For example the dictionary begins with the following:
>>
>>>  aardvark, aardwolf, aba, abaca, abacist, aback, abacus, abaft, abalone,
>>>  abamp, abampere, abandon, abandoned, abase, abash, abate, abatement,
>>>  abatis, abattoir, abaxial, abb, abba, abbacy, abbatial
>
>>Well, FRELI won't help you there. It's got those too. Too bad we can't
>>write a regex that means "take out everything obscure."
>
>In the lexicall website, some databases have information about
>frequency and you
>have the possibility to enter a range of values of your choosing... you can
>select words to have a minimum frequency (trick these unusual words have a
>frequency of -1 or 0; if you take all words with a frequency under 10 you are
>pretty safe).
>
>If you use the url below, you will directly get to see the list of words which
>have a frequency of 10 or more.
>
>http://lexicall.org/repository/results.php?mtd_file=data%2F2_words%2Fenglish%2Fdb_mrc.mtd&flds%5B1%5D=WORD&minvals%5B5%5D=10&submit=Submit
>
>Make you enter it as a continuous line in your browser, the 500
>words limit has
>been removed and will remain so for a week, so you will see the full list on
>your screen. Be patient - 10262 words.
>
>In the query above, the 10 corresponds to the minimum frequency value. You can
>try with higher and lower values and see when you get the list that best suits
>your needs.
>
>Marielle

Marielle,

This looks interesting. I tried your link, but my computer choked. I
run on a 56K modem.

With the little bit I did get, there were a lot of duplicates. (This
would be easy to filter out though.)

Is there some place that I can download the file without having to
display it in the browser?

Jim