revCopyFile under Tiger

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Wed Jun 22 19:44:06 EDT 2005

> When using revCopyFile under 10.4.1, I'm getting the annoying sound
> that plays whenever you move/copy a file or folder to another
> location in the Finder.  In my opinion, revCopyFile should not play
> that sound, but I'm sure it does just cause it uses system services
> to do the copy.
>
> Anyone found a way to make that sound not play?  Preferably without
> having to disable something in the OS.  What I'm doing is making a
> little backup utility, and copying files like that with that sound
> playing possibly hundreds of times is going to be *really*
> annoying, to say the least.

AFAIK, revCopyFile uses AppleScript which calls the Finder, thereby
producing the Finder noises. Copying using put URL ... into URL ...
as Jacque suggested would get rid of this noise but might cause
permissions problems.

A further untested suggestion would be to use the shell command,
which I think is cp:
     get shell(cp sourceFile destinationFile)

This MIGHT copy OS X bundles and I think it will preserve any
permissions.

Cheers,
Sarah