ANN Daily Crytoquote (J. Landman Gay)

Marielle Lange M.Lange at ed.ac.uk
Wed Jun 22 19:25:14 EDT 2005

> The big problem with the decoder is the size of the dictionary (61,000
> entries)--much too big. Many of the words you will not recognize.
> Anyone know of a more reasonable dictionary?

Plenty at: http://lexicall.org/repository/listing.php?material=data (eh eh, a
website with easy access to various lexical databases, realized by me, to ease
my colleagues' life). Use the menu on top of the page to select category: word,
language: english. Click on the little form icon.

For instance, click on the form-like icon right under "aoa and imagery
measures". Tick the first box only (deselect imagery mean and imagery SD - if
you go with your mouse over the link, you see a description of what these
acronyms mean), then click submit (bottom of the form, you may need to scroll
down). You have list of  about 2000 english words. For a more complete list,
use the MRC database. For some of them, you can select words of a particular
length (number of letters between 4 and 7, for instance)

You can use regular expressions as well to select words with a given pattern.
The list is truncated to 500 words, but I have all the files on my computer. If
you tell me **exactly** what you need, I can easily provide it.

Marielle

>FRELI is here:
><http://www.nkuitse.com/freli/>

One I didn't know about... will be added to my repository soon.

Marielle