Recording Sound in Windows?

Sharon Stamps sharonstamps at byu.edu
Tue Jun 21 18:34:46 EDT 2005

Hello all,

I went searching the archives to find out if anyone had encountered
the same problem I've had with the "record sound" feature in Rev on
Windows.  Each time I go to record, Windows pops up with "Low Disk
Space."  In previous posts, I read suggestions to check my disk space
(plenty; 108GB +) and swap space and also my Commit Charge.
Everything looks hunky-dory.  I am a Mac user attempting to cross-
platform my stacks :) and so I could easily be missing something.

No matter what settings I use with "record sound," when I start
recording, I have 108GB free space.  While recording, however, I go
immediately go down to 172KB!  Throughout the duration of the
recording, the free disk space says 172KB.  As soon as the recording
stops, I shoot back up to 108GB.  My "Commit Charge" starts at 316M/
2965M and while recording, changes to 328M/2965M.  I don't think that
the recording should be causing such a problem!  The stack I am
converting is used for ESL oral testing and each student will be
recording about 30 minutes of sound files simultaneously on different
computers (saved to a server).  The current plan for the stack is for
it to be built as a standalone and taken to Hong Kong, so I won't be
there to monitor the computers while the test is being administered.

Any help here?  If I'm stuck with this "bug", is there another
recording possibility?  Also, I am interested in knowing which
quickTime compression type would be best for my purposes.  Up to this
point, the stack has been used for recording about 10 minutes of
sound files and we put them in "pureVoice" because we have a decent
sized server, but I really need to conserve space with this new
stack.  I don't seem to be able to find a compression that doesn't
either sound horrible or take up too much disk space.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Sharon