Food Fight

Dennis Brown see3d at writeme.com
Mon Jun 20 16:06:40 EDT 2005

Dar,

Thank you for standing up for the rights (in a good natured way) of
those who think it's overkill to have all these structured names in a
conversational language with handlers that are usually only a few
lines long.  Why mar the elegance of a understandable name with
cryptic unpronounceable prefix letters all over the place?  It's not
as if I wouldn't be able to instantly recognize ten years later what
the local variable named partNumber in my 20 line script was for, or
even that it was a local.  I can see the rationale for this structure
when writing many huge (multi-page) handlers where you might actually
forget what the names were for by the end --but most of us don't do
that.  I think it is usually better to break things up into byte
sized pieces by defining small handlers and functions that
essentially extend the language in problem specific ways.

That being said, I believe some structure is good --as long as it can
be done in an elegant way.  I have not decided what style appeals to
me yet.  I have seen several writeups about the Hungarian-lite
style.  Is there any writeups about other styles?  I don't want to
reinvent the stone wheel, if some else has already done the spoked
bicycle wheel.

Dennis