Ann: Simple Spirograph-like toy program.

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Mon Jun 20 14:01:23 EDT 2005

Geoff Canyon wrote:

>> { .... wait 1 ms with message     vs   wait 3 ms with messages
>

> I assumed you wanted it to appear to "draw," rather than simply
> appear. If you want it to go as fast as possible, change the
> statement to this:
>
> wait 0 milliseconds with messages
>
> It will still work the way you intend, and draw much, much faster. So
> fast that you might consider simply holding off and setting the
> points only at the end, because it will be near instantaneous.

I hadn't realized that you could use "0" - I figured "1" was the
smallest value that would actually wait, anything smaller would not
require a wait.

Before your earlier improvement (i.e. when the points of the graphic are
updated every time round the loop), it was never that fast (at least on
my laptop). Now I get
  0 - just appears almost instantly
  1 - draws smoothly and quickly, like sweeping through each "arm" of
the drawing
  3 - draws smoothly, you can watch the "pen draw the lines"

Feels like time for another slider control ....