Revolution vs other solutions

Jesse Sng jsng at wayoflife.org
Mon Jun 20 03:51:43 EDT 2005

>I am familiar with much of what you describe as being part of the
>solution set you have to craft and I don't know of a single obstacle
>in Revolution that would not make it not only a viable choice but
>clearly the best choice given all you've said about your background
>and experience.
>
>Designed properly, my guess is there's a significant market for the
>finished product beyond your main client.
>
>I'd go for it.

I was planning to go for it anyway, but just wanted to be sure that
there are no stones left unturned. My choice was an intuitive one,
but given that there were folks on this list who are developing on
more than one environment, I thought I might ask and see if someone
could give me an objective answer.

I'm up against pretty tough competition - the Old system. That one
was left unmaintained for the better part of 12 yrs or longer and
it's still running fine today. IF the machine or the system goes down
today, they are pretty much out of business and so it's got to be
pretty robust.

The question of course is whether I'm going to be able to achieve
that with Revolution/AppleScript/InDesign as opposed to Think
C++/QuarkXpress.

I'm pretty much fighting against my past.

I'm also being careful here because I had to backtrack once in the
early stage of a major project after things pretty much were working
even in a prototype demo running on SC and I had to rewrite
everything using Macromedia Director just so that I could have finer
control over display elements on the screen. That was an exercise in
frustration because every month that went by was a constant nagging
reminder that I could have wrapped up the whole system months ago,
cashed in the billables and gone on vacation!

Jesse