Revolution vs other solutions

Jesse Sng jsng at wayoflife.org
Sun Jun 19 21:55:35 EDT 2005

Hi,

I'm writing this to all those who had made their own evaluations to
switch to Revolution for comment.

I've been monitoring this list and reading the discussions for some
time while doing some small evaluations of Revolution from time to
time as I was anticipating a rather large project that would kick off
in the near future.

Well after quite a bit of time, it looks like things are definitely
going to kick off real soon.

The project involves the automation of page layout from a set of text
data, integrating that with the workflow of a graphics dept in a
publishing company to build a final document within Adobe InDesign.

This will involve tracking of graphics files (photoshop, tiff, PDF),
XML, text parsing, AppleScript integration with InDesign and also
building a publication database out of the exported text data that
will come to us. That will mean that I will also need some sort of
robust but lightweight database solution that's integrated with
Revolution and can support multiple users.

This project is an entire REWRITE of a 15 yr old system that I had
delivered to them in 1990. The system was built around QuarkXpress
and I had written a plug in to do all that using Quark's ver 2.x
APIs. It's interesting that because of the CEO's insistence that they
do not upgrade to Quark 3.0 and they milk every bit of the system for
what it was worth, that we have this desperate situation today that
they must go for a full rewrite as the system can no longer be
upgraded.

It has been running since then and my last bug fix was somewhere in
1992 and they are still running on the old Quark 2.1x application.
They could not go past System 8.0 without breaking QuarkXpress and
that meant that they could not go with a machine more recent than a
Mac blue & white G3. Nothing can move forward now without breaking
one of the key components and it's so long ago that none of the
source code exists as my original company has ceased to exist some
years ago.

The fact is that I've been making most of my assumptions that I will
be building this using Revolution, integrating with InDesign and
Finder via AppleScript. I might also work with them on integrating
Photoshop and Illustrator/Freehand so that everything works very
smoothly.

At this point in time, I guess what I'm looking for is to find out if
there's any good reason for me NOT to use Revolution. I've worked
with Hypercard/Supercard since the late 80s and am at home with
xTalk, but used to write lots of plug ins for HC/SC and also Quark
though I much prefer not to.

Key considerations here are 1. commitment to move Rev from PowerPC to
Intel and I will probably be eligible for MacTel seeding so this is
something I want to test. 2. Stability - it's nice not to have the
system break because of my own code but I and the users would be very
helpless if the underlying engine breaks for reasons beyond our
control.3. the existence of a pool of "smart friends", something that
I'm already certain exist on this mailing list.

I would probably need to look at some form of XML manipulation
library that is not memory based and is also fast.

I have considered using Supercard 4.5 and also RealBasic - both of
which I'm extremely familiar with but I have doubts at this point in
time as to whether SC can give me everything I need plus it's
checkered history makes me wary. RealBasic can do the job, but
somehow I won't have as much time to work on this as I used to, plus
I don't think I'm going to enjoy the development experience quite as
much as I've built working apps with it before.

So I guess this is a rather strange request - does anyone have a good
reason why I should not use Rev at all? :-)

I'm being pulled out of retirement from software development to do
this thing and right now, I'm starting from scratch including having
to incorporate a company just to do this thing. The users have
searched for the last 5 or 6 years to find someone who can replace
the system and it keeps coming back to me even though I tried to turn
them down some years ago.

Jesse Sng