Scripts limits in stand alones

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jun 17 03:48:33 EDT 2005

Eric Chatonet wrote:
> Reminder from the docs:
> When using a standalone application, an object's script property may
> not be set to a string containing more than ten statements. This  limit
> is set by line 1 of the scriptLimits function. (This does not  limit
> scripts that are already written: standalone applications can  run
> scripts of any length. However, if the standalone attempts to  change an
> object's script property, and the script contains more than  the
> allowable number of statements, the attempt to set the script  causes an
> error.)
>
> I consider that, even there are many possible workarounds, this
> "feature" stays rather unacceptable:
> Does an enterprise licence ($900) has to work as a DreamCard  evaluation
> version?

The scriptLimits property was put in by Scott Raney long before RunRev
acquired it. It was added to prevent the ease with which someone could
create a competing scripting product (I've seen this before with other
xTalks).

It may seem onerous at first, but as was the case with the poster who
started this thread it's truly very rare that there is a need for
self-modifying Transcript.  Used well, the message path usually provides
a more efficient form of what's desired.

In the rare cases when there may some benefit from self-modifying code,
it often turns out that the more traditional "genetic algorithm"
approach of abstractifying behaviors through data often serves that
small subset well.

And in the rarer case where one truly needs to use self-modifying
Transcript, my understanding is that Kevin's willing to review things on
a case-by-case basis to see what can be done.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation