Globals and namespaces for Rev.

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jun 13 20:26:05 EDT 2005

Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:
> On 6/12/05 11:36 PM, "Andre Garzia" <soapdog at mac.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Andre,
>
> In fact I discuss not a work around, I know how to use prefixes for names
> :-)
>
> I just have try to discuss to revolution developers extension of Rev
> language, which can help avoid many problems and simplify coding.
> And, as I have underline, to make Revolution better for COLLECTIVE work.
>
> IMHO development tool which do not allow easy collective work cannot be
> considered as mature.

I've worked in teams with between 2 and 30 members using this and lesser
systems.  After all, it's not like software was never productively
written before the recent addition of namespaces to the small handful of
languages that support it.

Not that it can't be improved; just about everything can be.

But to say something is "more" or "less" "mature" than something else
depends on one's priorities.  Namespaces may be very useful for your
work, but I don't see many languages supporting them and I don't recall
any of the pros here feeling limited by their absence.

That said, I see no harm in adding it, and if you choose to submit the
request we'll see how many feel they need it.

>>you're trying to use globals and not conflict with other stacks right?
>>that is the problem?
>>
>>Well,  I made my own "addition" to our standard informal script
>>variable name scheme.
>>
>>Usually one naming a global will begin the var with "g"  and if it is
>>an array will end the var in "A" like:
>>
>>gMyGlobalArrayA
>>
>>I just add the stack name to the thing, for example, my RevHTTP stacks
>>got internal vars like
>>
>>gRevHTTP_SessionDataA
>>
>>it's not the most readable thing in the universe, but to a name like
>>this to conflict with another stack would be very difficult.

It's not designed to be readable; it's designed to be skimmable.

Code is far more frequently skimmed for specific expressions than it is
read as narrative.

>>Also, you can always check "globalNames" to see if there's a possible
>>conflict.
>
> And this is what I name "additional headache".
> Rev developers should NOT think about this.

You can take it up with Charles Simonyi. He introduced it when he worked
for Microsoft. Maybe you've heard of them.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation