Piracy

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Mon Jun 13 18:30:53 EDT 2005

Hi Robert et al.

I think there are two factors you must consider.

1) Price
How much are you going to charge for the app? If it's under $150, then
simple schemes should work. IMO, most people who want to rip you off,
will. What you want is to 'nudge' users from the free/demo/trial version
to the 'paid for' version.

2) License type
This is actually step-in-step with price. Just about all of Altuit's
products are licensed to USERS, not COMPUTERS. I believe this is a much
fairer license, and one I would rather use as a consumer. Robert, you
and others have tried to create a regCode tied to hardware. While this
is fine for high priced software, IMO, it hurts only your paying
customers. Say a hard disk goes out, or a motherboard, then they can't
install your product. Say they buy a new machine and donate the old one
to the needy. They can no longer install/use your product. Say they have
a desktop and a laptop, they can only install it on one. This type of
license is more 'customer friendly' while also encouraging sales.

I know you can offer them 'multiple keys'-- like MS Office does. Still,
it is a pain to be a paying customer and ask for a new key, or know you
only have 3 of them.

If someone wants to steal your software, they will. But making it
'harder' on paying customers, IMO, is not good business. Just my 2 cents.

best,

Chipp