names of saved files

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Mon Jun 13 13:59:31 EDT 2005

On 6/13/05 10:30 AM, "Jon" <jbondy at sover.net> wrote:

> I want users to be able to create/save a file.  The save dialog comes
> up, and they can only see *.INI files (I'm using a filter).  If they
> type "FRED", I want the saved file to be "FRED.INI".  I can force the
> ".INI" at the end of the "FRED" after they enter "FRED", but then the
> save dialog does not correctly detect that the file is "FRED.INI", so it
> does not warn the user that they might over-write that file.  I can, of
> course, do this manually, but most development environments provide for
> a "default extension", which is appended to "FRED" automatically.
>
> All of this is handled correctly with other development systems.  What
> am I missing here?

Nothing - I'd log that as a bug in Bugzilla...

I've had to handle it separately, bringing up my own "File already exists"
dialog after they've closed the save dialog and then bring it back up again
if they don't want to replace.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/