Slider values

briany at qldlearning.com briany at qldlearning.com
Thu Jun 9 03:06:22 EDT 2005

Agreed. I can suggest two simple changes that seem as though they would
make sliders work out of the box:

1) Change the default lineIncrement to 0 for slider style objects

2) There appears to be an engine bug with the number of ticks displayed
(at least on MacOS X). There is one too few. For example, for a slider
with values from 0 to 100, pageInc = 10 and lineIncr = 0 (as described in
this thread), it displays 10 ticks. There should be 11:
0,10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90,100, My guess is that somewhere the engine is
doing something like:

numTicks = (maxValue - minValue)/(pageIncrement - lineIncrement)

This seems intuitively ok at first (100 divided by 10!) but it should
actually be the above plus 1, since you want ticks at both the min and max
values.

As it is now, what you get is a slider that stops on 10,20,30,etc but the
ticks marks are actually at 11,22,33,44,55,etc - which looks very awkward.

I'll BugZilla #2 as an engine bug unless someone else sees something here,
but as far as I can tell it makes it impossible to properly display a
slider, since paging left and right misses the ticks completely!

- Brian