Economics & Eye Candy

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Tue Jun 7 18:52:43 EDT 2005

Gordon.....

While I sympathize with some of your feelings (while I continue to be
my most productive self when using Rev and grinning from ear to ear
watching my colleagues who use Python, Java, and Basic go through
excruciating pains to do what I can do in seconds or minutes in my
favorite tool!), this notion of integrating externals is one on which
I have pretty strong opinions. (Yes, I know. That's unusual for me. NOT)

The problem, IMNSHO, isn't with Rev, it's with the fact that as far
as I know there is no single method of creating and implementing
externals that runs on all platforms. I may be wrong about that; DLLs
may in fact be more cross-platform than they were last time I looked,
particularly with the emergence of OS X. But I am pretty strongly
opposed to Rev spending significant time and resources extending the
capabilities of the program for *any* platform-specific
functionality. And, FWIW, that includes when they do so for MY
favorite platform, OS X. I'd have been delighted to see 2.6 fix a
bunch more bugs and not implement CoreImage and DeepMask stuff. Now,
I realize that in saying that I'm in a small minority and I also
realize that the DeepMask stuff works cross-platform and will be a
real boon as Longhorn emerges from its near-decade in cold storage.
But my position remains the same: of all the development tools from
which I can choose, only two that I know of -- Rev and Flash -- give
me true cross-platform capability. And because I choose to work on a
minority platform but want to be able to reach the majority platform,
cross-platform is my personal number one feature in Rev. Anything
that detracts from that is just in my way or an unnecessary appendage.

So if there is a way to facilitate the incorporation of cross-
platform external routines relatively transparently and to give me a
Transcript-level way of dealing with them, I'm happy to see it
implemented even though I have yet to need such capability in the
dozens of things I've written. But if supporting externals must be
done for a specific platform -- or, almost as badly, differently for
each platform -- then I'm in favor of Rev passing on that and fixing
more of the bugs we still have to work around.