Uh-oh.... Anybody following WWDC?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Mon Jun 6 21:00:26 EDT 2005

Richard Gaskin wrote:

>    the Software and Information Industry Association. In addition,
>    the Software Publishers Association (SPA) estimates that 16 percent
>    of computer users are on Macs.
>    <http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/5933/>
>
> I haven't seen how those figures were derived either, but it raises an
> interesing question:
>
> If Apple, for the first time since Jobs came back, not only returned
> to the 10% marketshare of a decade ago but actually exceeded it by
> another 6 points, why wouldn't Apple be shouting this from the rooftops.
>
> If memory serves, at 16% this would mean we currently have the largest
> marketshare in the history Mac history.

You're confusing marketshare and installed base share.

The theory is that Wintel (or at least Windows) users need to upgrade
more frequently (because every new version of Windows is more bloated -
apparently new versions of OS X have been the same or even more efficient).

If you had 2 users each buy a machine at the same time
 Windows users upgrades his machine every year
 Mac user upgrades his machine every 3 years

So Mac has 25% of the *marketshare* - but still has 50% of the users.

Hence the long-term (and increasing) difference between marketshare and
%age of users. Gartner has always published marketshare data.