who's out there?

Dennis Brown see3d at writeme.com
Sun Jun 5 14:26:28 EDT 2005

Jon,

I am retired.  I decided to use Rev as my language of choice for
doing all those programming projects that I never had time to get to
before (ha,ha, I'm busier now than ever).  My project list is varied
from home automation to food databases, and I do conceive of free
distribution of some of my stuff cross platform via DreamCard.
However, my big project right now is only indirectly for me.  I am
working on a very large historical database to generate tools that
run statistical analysis to discover new relationships.  I am doing
this project for a friend that will use it in support a worthwhile
charity.  I use a Mac and he uses PCs.  I can see the need for major
improvements in the IDE.  A professional can learn to work around
quirks and bugs.  My beef is that it is the casual user --the ones
that can make or break a company by virtue of their numbers --that
will not put up with getting slapped 4 or 5 times on his first day of
use.  He will give up and look elsewhere unless he has a lot of
support --like he would get on this list.  The core functionality of
the IDE should be intuitive, simple and forgiving of the fumbles of
the novice.  Advanced features should be enabled modularly as one
learns the basics.  IDE/tutorial in one.  Do this and the revolution
will begin in earnest.

Dennis