running rev cgi on Mac OS 8.6 Personal web server?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Jun 5 11:55:16 EDT 2005

On 6/5/05 12:26 AM, Thomas McCarthy wrote:

> I've got an old beige 233 mac. I've got a fiber optic connection
> (which I pay for off or on!) I've got a bunch of stacks I want to
> share with other Latin teachers...
>
> Wouldn't it be very possible to clean up the old beige, make a
> massive folder, put in all my stacks and the rev cgi engine in there,
> start up personal web server and let it all run from there?
>
> I would need to note the ip address, right and share that with
> others? anything else to consider?

If you are looking to put the actual stacks on the web, this won't do
it. As another thread is discussing, there is no way to run a stack in a
browser. CGIs return HTML pages, not stacks.

A Rev CGI can open and read a stack to get data out of it, but then it
needs to format an HTML page to send back to the user's browser. The
stacks it reads are only for reference, not for display.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com