Mac -> Win problems

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue Jul 26 19:46:45 EDT 2005

Charles Hartman wrote:

>> There's another bug or two (BZ 2138 and another one I can't see
>> right now) that might be what you're seeing. These happen when you
>> run a stack on WinXP by double-clicking on the stack icon. I  created
>> BZ 2138 for this problem with the Dreamcard Player - and  since I
>> wasn't sure if it was intended to allow this or not, I had  to mark
>> that as an enhancement. I'm sure I've seen another BZ entry  for the
>> same, or very similar, problem with the full product - but  can't
>> immediately find it.
>>
>> I now never run stacks by double clicking them because of this
>> problem - I either run them in the IDE, or build standalones.
>>
>> But it wasn't clear whether you are double-clicking to run it or
>> not, so this may not be the answer you need.
>>
>> --
>> Alex Tweedly       http://www.tweedly.net
>

> I'm running by double-clicking -- because all I've got is DreamCard,
> so I can't build standalones. And I suspect my users (they'll
> download the Win or Mac player, I hope from my site where they get
> the stack) will do it the same way. There's no evident other way to
> tell the Player to load the stack; I may have missed it -- but if so,
> users may well too. (I'll have to give them instructions anyway, of
> course.)
>
> So -- it's a bug, already known. Is there also a known workaround?
> The app is hardly useable as it is.

You can run the player, then click on the small "folder" icon at the top
right, and select a stack to run.

I know, I know - the most obscure, non-standard bit of UI you've seen in
the last couple of years. Why it couldn't have had a good, old-fashioned
menu with File/Open and Edit/Preferences instead of these two icons
which I'm sure 50% of users don't realize *are* icons is totally beyond me.

btw - from Jacque's email and BZ 2299, it looks as though this isn't a
ubiquituous problem. Some people see it - others can try hard to
reproduce it without success. I see it on every stack on all 6 of my
Windows machines (W2000 and WinXP) - but apparently not everyone does -
so it may not be as bad for your users as you expect.

I upgraded from Dreamcard to Studio just because of this problem (it was
kind of nice to have an excuse :-)