revDocWiki

Dennis Brown see3d at writeme.com
Tue Jul 26 15:41:58 EDT 2005

Dan,

I would obviously try to add a couple cents worth of data, but I am
still in a learning mode, so my input might be limited to feedback.

Even though Heather had defended RunRevs efforts in the docs area, I
can not see any reason not to proceed with a Wiki idea.  I can
understand RunRevs reluctance to pre-announce new language features,
but I can not fathom any reason why an outline of the plans for
better docs could not be shared with the community (at least the
senior members like you).  With an understanding of the direction
RunRev is taking for future docs, the user community can dovetail its
efforts into the most helpful supporting role.  Otherwise, RunRev
runs the risk of losing control of where the customers turn to find
out how to run the tool.  A Wiki could become the doc of choice.  It
would be better if RunRev took an active role in supporting it, but
it should proceed in any case.  The user community potentially has
ten times the energy to put into this than RunRev does.

I could see questions on this list referring one to a Wiki entry that
already answers it, and when it does not, the final answer can become
an addition or a new entry.  The power of this list turned into a
Wiki --what a concept!

Dennis