Rant Re Rev Documentation

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Mon Jul 25 11:55:38 EDT 2005

It's not going to make me any more popular, but I have to say that
this seems like an example of the basic problem. It's a pretty
glaring bug -- as someone else pointed out, if you make the print
dialog available, you probably need to pay attention to what it says.
Some of the unicode and other text-handling problems people have
pointed out are pretty glaring too. So are aspects of the Inspector,
the Documentation window, and the Application Browser. These aren't
problems of missing documentation, they're bugs & holes. And they're
bugs & holes in places that someone just beginning to develop apps in
Rev is likely to encounter -- not abstrusiosities off in the realm of
getting Rev to communicate with RS-422 interfaces etc.

Which is to be expected! Yes. It's a work in progress. I acknowledge
and appreciate that, and I certainly acknowledge and appreciate the
work of everybody, within and outside RR, working on that progress,
both in functionality and in explanation.

The trouble is that Rev is not an open-source, let's-all-get-together-
and-build-it system -- it's a package that may be cheap from the
point of view of a professional (that is: funded) developer, but not
from other points of view. (Compare, say, Python.) Those other points
of view include the "inventive users" Dan and others have talked
about. They also include people like me -- definitely (decidedly!
massively!) amateur, but with a certain amount of programming
experience.

I'm not meaning to complain. I'm working on a Dreamcard app right now
(can't afford the other packages); I've taken on that learning curve.
I'm only saying that the curve is steeper than someone might expect
from a non-freeware system. It's about as steep as for wxPython, for
example. This list is a magnificent help, I hasten to agree.

Charles