External for running one instance on windows

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Mon Jul 18 13:47:12 EDT 2005

Trevor-

Sunday, July 17, 2005, 12:25:01 PM, you wrote:

TD> I don't know what a critical section is so it made the decision much
TD> easier :-)

<g>

As I understand it, they're almost the same thing - mutexes work with
multiple threads in an single application, critical section objects
work with multiple threads in a single process. It doesn't help things
any that "critical section" is also used to refer to the code governed
by a mutex.

Here's a fairly concise, albeit microsoftian, writeup:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dllproc/base/critical_section_objects.asp

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net