Newbie Question

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Thu Jul 14 11:29:44 EDT 2005

Hi, Hamburger1!

Welcome to the Revolution.

WHile there are lots of options for this in Rev (Xavier has already
pointed out two), as an old stackhead myself I think the best way to
do this is to create a stack (you can even call it "Home" for all Rev
cares!) to store all of this reusable stuff in and then when you have
a stack where you want to use it, just use a command like:

start using stack "Home"

This creates what Rev calls a "library" stack. It is so darned
efficient and effective that once you get used to it you'll wonder
how you lived without it. I have several such libraries that contain
related groups of scripts.

You'll also want to spend some time understanding the message path in
Rev, which is sufficiently different from HyperCard's to cause some
confusion in the early going. My book, "Revolution: Software at th
Speed of Thought", is available through the RunRev store and has a
good discussion of the topic but may be a bit introductory level for
someone with serious HC experience. Richard Gaskin over at
FourthWorld has a great white paper on the message path and how you
can extend it with libraries, front and back scripts, etc. (URL:
http://www.fourthworld.com/embassy/articles/
revolution_message_path.html).

On Jul 14, 2005, at 4:55 AM, Hamburger1 at aol.com wrote:

> I'm in the process of switching from HyperCard. I put several
> handlers &
> functions in my home stack that are used in other stacks. Where do
> I put these
> scripts in Revolution?

Dan Shafer, Revolution Consultant and Author
http://www.shafermedia.com
 From the RunRev online store