Folder size

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Wed Jul 13 04:44:26 EDT 2005

Hello Chris,

Here is a piece of code (from Frederic Rinaldi I think) which can get
you started:
Params:
theFolder: path to the root folder you want to scan
addFullPath : boolean to get absolute (true) or relative path (false)
allInfos : boolean to get all information (true) or path only (false)

item 2 & 3 in the returned list with allInfos=true are the file size
(data fork with Mac OS) and the resource fork size (Mac OS only, 0
for others)

function AllFiles theFolder,addFullPath,allInfos
   --returns full path of all enclosed files
   local startFolder
   set cursor to busy
   if last char of theFolder is not "/"
   then put "/" after theFolder
   if startFolder is empty
   then put theFolder into startFolder

   set the defaultFolder to theFolder
   if the result is not empty
   then
     beep
     answer error "Répertoire inexistant:" & return & return &
theFolder titled "Erreur"
     exit to top
   end if

   put the detailed files into filesList
   filter filesList without ".*"
   filter filesList without "Icon%0D*"
   filter filesList without "*,MACSfdrp" -- remove folder aliases

   put the folders into foldersList
   filter foldersList without ".*"

   repeat for each line loopFolder in foldersList
     put AllFiles(thefolder & loopFolder & "/",addFullPath,allInfos)
& return after resultList
   end repeat

   repeat with i=number of lines of filesList down to 1
     -- set cursor to busy
     if addFullPath
     then put MyURLEncode(theFolder) before line i of filesList
     if allInfos = false
     then put item 1 of line i of filesList into line i of filesList
   end repeat

   get resultList & filesList
   sort lines of it
   return word 1 to -1 of it -- strip empty lines
end AllFiles
------------------
function MyURLEncode what
   put URLEncode(what) into what
   replace "%2F" with "/" in what
   return what
end MyURLEncode

Le 13 juil. 05 à 10:15, Chris Carroll-Davis a écrit :

> Iit's for both Mac & PC really - but mainly mac at the moment.
> Since posting, I've found that I can get the info I need with
> applescript - "Tell application "Finder" ... return physical size
> of folder "Folderpath"  ... End tell", but of course that's no good
> for PC.  I could look at your suggestion, but I need this to run on
> any machine - i.e. I can't rely on any other software being
> installed.   :-(
>
> Looks like I might have to bite the bullet and do it with
> transcript eventually. Yuk.  I know for a decent programmer it is
> an easy job, but I'm getting old and brain is slow!
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris
>>
>>> Hello folks -
>>>
>>> Anyone know if there is an easy way in Rev of getting the size of a
>>> folder (together with all it's sub-folders).  I know I can do a loop
>>> using "detailed files" and "detailed folders" but that seems a bit
>>> long-winded, and I'm sure I'd be re-inventing the wheel!  Is there
>>> another way, or is there an existing function anywhere that I can
>>> pinch?

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software