RR Documentation, mini-bugs, and so on . . .

Mathewson richmond at mail.maclaunch.com
Sat Jul 9 05:11:52 EDT 2005

Well,

I read something a bit odd
by a chap called Jon on the Rev use-list about
supposed bugs in the 2.6 documentation.

And, being the sort that finds it awfully difficult to keep
my mouth shut (no, surely not?) I thought I would bung in
my few cents worth:

Being the proud, new owner of DreamCard 2.6, I find myself
returning repeatedly to RR 2.0.1 to consult the Transcript
Dictionary - Why ??? - because, in my experience it is
considerably SIMPLER and MORE RESPONSIVE than the HELP
system in 2.6 which, I feel, suffers from a type of FEATURE
BLOAT.

Maybe, the HELP system in 2.6 needs to be 'chopped up' into
lots of interconnected substacks that will not slow things
down so drastically.

My development machine is a G4 Mac (dual 1.27 GHz, 1 GB
RAM), so not quite as slow as some computers - but when I
open HELP in DC 2.6 everything grinds to a halt.

So, ran RR 2.0.1 in the background until I worked out how
to extract the Transcript dictionary and import it into the
RevTools stack of my DC 2.6 --- not totally satisfactory,
but it will do at the moment.

Certainly, the Transcript Dictionary (and other parts of
the RR 2 help system) work lika a charm compared to 2.6.

Might be something to do with the eye-candy, might be
something to do with 2.6 suddenly using an awful lot of
RAM.

Sincerely, Richmond
See Mathewson's software at:

http://members.maclaunch.com/richmond/default.html