documentation mini-bug

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Sat Jul 9 12:34:17 EDT 2005

I think this is a case where it's not an either-or, but a both-and.

Customers will complain in all kinds of places. A company with
appropriate resources should attempt to monitor major lists -- most
particularly one like this that they host -- for negative feedback
and translate that feedback into bug reports for the development
staff as often as possible.

OTOH, users who care about the product -- and I certainly agree with
Mark here that they are few and far between although there seem to be
a disproportionate number around this place! -- should and most often
will use the official bug reporting mechanism, provided that
mechanism isn't a nightmare.

My problem is that Revzilla/Bugzilla is a user interface nightmare
that more often than not confuses me more than the bug I'm trying to
report. So I'd say that unless I find a bug that's really severe, I
find a way to work around it, post something here and get on with my
programming life.

So, Jon, you're not entirely wrong here. From off-list communications
we have had I know you are a serious developer (Mark was probably
just in a bad mood; he's a genuinely nice guy) but one who doesn't
(yet at least) have a passionate supportive feeling about Revolution.
Hopefully you'll be able to find the time to develop such a feeling.