Stack Level Local/Globals

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Tue Jul 5 02:37:23 EDT 2005

Hi Dennis,

Nice tests :-)
I agree: The conclusions are a bit hard to understand...
I am inclined to think that for intensive calculations (repeat for
each pixel tPixel ;-) global arrays would be always preferable.
In most cases and *practically*, custom properties "slowness" (as I
explained it in a previous post) is not a problem.
Depends on the context.
I bet that, in many cases, code optimisation has to be searched for
elsewhere :-)

Le 4 juil. 05 à 23:42, Dennis Brown a écrit :

> The conclusions are a bit hard to understand for this example, but
> it appears that custom properties sets used instead of global
> arrays are about 2.5 times as slow for writing and 3 times as slow
> for reading, except for the case where a very large data string is
> stored, then it seems to take much longer for the globals to create
> a very large data space for each element.  I can only conclude that
> the method used for creating new data space for globals involves a
> lot of shuffling of memory structures, while the method used for
> custom properties is simpler.  However, it is only a guess at this
> point.
>
> In any case using custom properties for the compute intensive
> arrays would significantly slow my program.  However, they would be
> a viable alternative to globals for many cases.

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software

Phone        33 (0)1 43 31 77 62