Stack Level Local/Globals

Dennis Brown see3d at writeme.com
Mon Jul 4 13:55:31 EDT 2005

Hi All,

I have searched all over BZ looking for an enhancement to the global
or local declarations that provide the missing Stack level scope in
Transcript because I wanted to add my votes to it, but I can't seem
to find it.  Could someone point me to it, otherwise I will enter it.

Global variable = Scope across all stacks --these are a pain to use
because the scope is too broad so they need special naming conventions.
Stack global variable =  Scope across sub-stacks --this is the
missing scope that could replace globals in most situations.
Script local variable = Scope across script --we have this
Local variable = Scope inside handler --we have this

The stack global/local variable (I am not sure what it should be
called) just has the scope of a single main-stack and sub-stacks.
This means that I could assign "global" names to a project without
having to take into consideration global names that may have been
used by someone else.  This seems like the missing scope piece that
would simply solve many problems.  It was suggested to me privately
in an email, so I assumed that it has had an enhancement request in BZ.

Dennis