What do most Rev developers do?

Dr.John R.Vokey vokey at uleth.ca
Wed Jan 26 18:56:52 EST 2005

I use it (well, Metacard) to run all the experiments in my lab, handle
the data, and often the data analyses; essentially, it replaced
hypercard that formerly did exactly the same thing for me (and, before
that, I used FutureBasic (and sometimes still do), which used to be
known as ZBasic).  Its principal advantage is speed of development.
Experiments can be created and edited in mere minutes to hours compared
with more traditional languages and systems, and my research assistants
become proficient at it within weeks compared with months, years, or
never as was often the case with more traditional languages and systems
(c, Pascal, Fortran, etc.).  It also interfaces easily and quickly with
external serial devices for time critical experimental tasks.  The fact
that the stacks are cross-platform (I don't produce stand-alones) means
that I can share my experiments with colleagues who are unfortunate
enough to have to use other operating systems.  They don't even have to
own RR (or Metacard), as they can just download the wretched-OS's
version of DreamCard and are up and running within minutes!  For
researchers, RR (Metacard) is tough to beat.

--
John R. Vokey, PhD
Professor