OT -- Mac OSX or Classic?

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Jan 26 06:54:50 EST 2005

>Nicolas,
>      Apple has not shipped a computer that will boot into OS 9 for over a
>year. At some point in the not too distant future they will no
>longer support the
>use of OS 9 Classic inside of OS X.
>      All of the new Apple applications (iTunes, iPhoto, Pages, Keynote, etc.)
>are OS X only.
>      Somewhere between 10.2 and 10.3, OS X became a better OS than OS 9.
>      If money is a concern (and when is it not) I'd suggest the eMac. It has
>proven to be a solid computer with a good built-in monitor and ample external
>expansion. By the time you would add monitor, keyboard and mouse to a Mac
>mini, you would have the price of an eMac - but the eMac has two RAM slots
>(instead of the mini's one) and a larger, faster 3 1/2 inch hard
>drive (instead of a
>laptop-sized 2 1/2). If you go the eMac route, I'd   suggest getting the
>tilt/swivel stand for it - not only does this let you position the
>monitor more
>accurately and easily, it also frees up some desk space because the
>stand takes
>up less space than the computer.
>Paul Looney

I have no doubt that the original poster should get OSX version of
Rev for his licence. He can produce OS9 version in his OSX Studio
should there ever be a need.  OS9 is a dead end street whereas OSX is
on the run (sorry for mixing the mataphors). However, I feel that the
statements as above are somewhat flawed when presented to community
of developers. As are the stats from sales or downloads of specific
products. OS (as other software) do not need to be officially
supported to be used. As I see it, there is a growing dichotomy in
Mac world. Classic Mac OS users are becoming more and more distinct
from OSX users. I agree with Paul that newest OSX is indeed an
excellent choice, although I look at it as a different OS which just
happens to use some Mac classic philosophy (aside from some backwards
compatibility). I believe that those who wanted or had to switch,
have already done so (I know of a number of people running both
systems on different computers they own). Those who stay with OS9, do
so for specific reasons. Richard is quite right that Classic users
mostly have the software they need and are thus not into buying as
much as the OSX users. This, however, does not mean that there is no
money to be made there. The installed base is still a huge number but
one has to look at them as a vertical rather than general market. If
one writes a program that appeals to those people, it can still make
decent income. But as a general market, it is truly as good as dead.

Robert