Printing Disaster (slightly renamed)

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Jan 25 16:29:08 EST 2005

On Jan 25, 2005, at 2:06 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Which Win API will make their font metrics identical to OS X's?

I have taken a sophomoric glance at openType (and some of this might
apply to trueType).  It specifies (for example) three ways to calculate
vertical leading: the right way, the Windows way and the Mac way.  The
latter two are there for "compatibility" reasons.  This is complicated
by the indication that the Windows way is sometimes used to detect
overlap.

This is only a trivial part of the whole problem, but I would expect
that it would be possible to get font table info in either OS.  Perhaps
some uniform calculations can then be made for some metric values.

I have no idea how useful those metics would be in writing to the
screen and the printer using interesting (eg. unicode friendly) APIs.

Just babbling.

Dar