A Collaboration on Shafer's Books?

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 24 18:18:59 EST 2005

on Mon, 24 Jan 2005
Robert Brenstein wrote:

> We do have some people who are true
> experts in specific areas, be it QuickTime,
> database usage, interface
> programming, multimedia, etc etc.

Exactly what i thought! :-)

Dan Shafer wrote:

> My experience with collaborative projects in the
> past causes me a great
> deal of trepidation on this model, but I'm willing
> to be taught new
> tricks despite being an old dog.

Dan, you could write these chapters as an
informal conversation with every collaborator.
Add some code and screenshots that demostrate
the main points of conversation. Create an appendix
with long scripts for every chapter,
in that way, too long scripts do not break the
flow of the chapter.

> So, without my making any commitment whatsoever, I'd
> like to see a show
> of hands. If you'd be interested in writing one or
> more chapters or
> co-authoring with me on one or more chapters of my
> still-planned books,
> please indicate the seriousness of your intent
[snip]
> indicate your writing experience, if any, your Rev
> experience, and the topic(s) you think
> you'd be willing to write about.

Remember that many of these people are
already busy and they could work on this
within some months... i'll wait for everyone
of them until they were available...

> Thanks. I'll let the list know the outcome of this
> fishing expedition in a few days or so.

Days???
Time too short :-(

Why not in 4 weeks???
4 weeks are plenty of time to
take a decision to help to write a chapter
of your book. I insist in the interview
or conversation format for these collaborations.

Did you know how much time it takes
to put in paper just two hours of
conversation? ;-)

Many developers already have posted their code
that demostrate their knowledge in key areas,
so is good idea to ask them specifically.

Many shy people never offer themselves, unless
asked to. Some will have panic to write, but
rarely shows panic to explain or talk what they
had already learn...

Just my 2 cents!

al

=====