RAD contest...;-)

David Vaughan dvk at dvkconsult.com.au
Fri Jan 21 15:43:41 EST 2005

On 22/01/2005, at 4:00, Meitnik at aol.com wrote:

>> It seems to me a more significant contest between the two systems
>> would
>> be to assign the same project to two very experienced developers with
>> each development environment, and see who gets it finished quicker.
>> -- I think after 20yrs...I should be able to make at least in FULL:
>      1. MacWrite 1.0 -- word processing
>      2. MacPaint 1.0 -- bitmap editing
>      3. MacDraw 1.0 -- vector editing
>      4. Excel 1.0 -- number processing

Richard's comment on productivity was intended to focus on tasks
typically facing professional developers rather than on artificial
contests. It is indeed important that you can process words, bitmaps,
vectors and numbers but a contest involving creating new, complete
applications in each of these fields is hardly relevant to the daily
needs of most people on this list or of the customers they serve. I can
see next that this discussion would descend into a feature contest in
each of the specific areas; again, not what Richard intended. Let's
drop it.

As for Mr Grogono, a man who on my reading can deny and then admit the
same thing in a single paragraph, he might recall that a predecessor in
his company when writing to this list had the courage to sign his
messages in full rather than restrict the information to his e-mail
address.

I doubt that either Mr Rivers or Mr Grogono actually achieved anything
by their writing other than a change of employment for the first
gentleman. Perhaps Mr Grogono is looking for a job ;-)

regards
David