revMail fails on some Macs

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Tue Jan 18 23:38:57 EST 2005

I'm upgrading a stack used in an application by remote collaborators.
When they finish work on some data, the stack uploads it to our server
here and I've added an email notification feature which grabs info
about the upload and then emails it to me by invoking the user's
default email client, auto inserting my email address and subject and
body. The user then has only to click send. A further confirmation uses
revGoURL to load the data from our server into their browser (these are
XML files) so they can also see immediately if the upload was complete.

Now, testing here on my own mac OS X... it works fine, email is invoked
and immediately revGoURL activates my browser...  I sent the new stack
out to test the new function to another Mac user with OSX also
installed, but on his machine the script uploads the data, then skips
through the revMail as if it was not even in the script and boots his
browser and shows the file.   i.e. the line "revMail
tRecipient,,tSubject,tBody" fails and there is no error message and it
does not cause any problem... it jus doesn't happen.

What exactly does the Mac need to ensure that there is an email client
automatically will be invoked by revMail? I can't find any preference
in OS X for "default mail app" that requires setting. No more internet
config and apple has this bizarre requirment to set the default browser
from within Safari, which one has to boot to say, choose Firefox... but
I don't see any option to set a default email app that the scripting
extensions would use. and I also don't know exactly what to test for to
determine with other missing parts there may be... possible the GURL
even is not handled on his machine? But I though apple script and
events would be auto loaded by default for anyone using OSX.

I have yet to get a report from Windows users if this will work...

Note, this stack is being driven by a splash screen standalone "player"
and I did  include the "common library" which would be required... and
if revGoURL works, one assumes this is proof the common library is
present.  So, it must be something else.

TIA

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery