Debugger causing problems.

xbury.cs at xbury.cs at
Mon Jan 17 09:22:17 EST 2005


Im the one who ran into that problem. The solution as suggested by
Chipp was to enter the line

  set the breakpoints to ""

While this worked fine the first few times, the problem comes back
and sometimes gets even worse (crash without any debug checkpoints
but im sure it's due to soem other factoer.

I also noticed that if you use the handler index to scroll the script 
you want, the debug zone is not scrolled correctly which is probably
a cause for these lost checkpoints.

Last but not least, I found also that if you call your handler via a send 
command, your debug checkpoint wont be noticed and it's the debug
options you have to do yourself...

I didn't enter a bug since I can't reproduce it and even if you could Tuv
usually returns it's a feature... or not a problem for him... ;(

Hope that helps!

On 17.01.2005 15:11:32 use-revolution-bounces wrote:
>I've spent the best part of the last week working on this one problem,
>and finally found the solution. This is a bit of a rambling rant,  sorry
>about that but I needed to tell someone I've finally made it work :-),
>and how frustrating it's been :-(
>I build a simple Spam cleaner a few months ago. The standalone built
>just fine, and it's been in regular daily use on 3 or 4 machines, as
>well as my own use in the IDE - it's by far the most used, and most
>useful, app I've built in Rev.  I've slowly added a few features as I
>used it in the IDE,, and last week decided it was time to build another
>Built the standalone, put it on the other machine - and it won't run
>properly. The app loads OK, and it will set up preferences and other
>config stuff OK; but when you click on the "Read email" button it just
>(apparently) does nothing. What it should do is check the preferences
>that have been set, realize the password has not been given and prompt
>the user for it - i.e. no network activity until after this prompt. It
>never gets as far as prompting.
>I checked on my own development machine - the standalone fails there too.
>So I started debugging - rather painfully, since it would only fail in
>the standalone - so I had to revert to adding debug output statements,
>build the standalone, try it, and repeat - just like an old-fashioned
>edit/compile/test cycle :-(
>While doing this, I would occasionally need to run it in the IDE (to
>check the "correct" order and value for  the trace outputs). While doing
>that, I discovered that if I loaded this stack (and therefore see the
>results from openstack/opencard/etc.) and immediately close the stack,
>then immediately try to use the IDE menu - Rev crashes.  The odd thing
>is that if you do something else (like click one of the buttons in the
>toolbar), it carries on OK, and the menu is once again usable.
>In 2.5, it just closes silently.
>In 2.2.1, it give a "Metacard engine has encountered a problem and must
>close. |Report to Microsoft ?" dialog before closing.
>Figuring these were probably somehow related, I started debugging that.
>On a copy of the stack, I (piece by piece) removed the stack script, the
>card script, all the buttons and fields and their handlers - still the
>same behaviour. Simply loading and unloading the stack is enough to
>cause IDE menu usage to crash Rev; remember there are no startup or
>openxxx handlers - so none of the stack's code should be being executed.
>I then started deleting the sub-stacks one by one - and eventually
>discovered that one of them (the "help" stack) had a breakpoint set. I
>unset that - and everything is fixed.Went back to the original stack,
>removed the same breakpoint - and now everything is OK there. The stack
>can be loaded and unloaded without problems, and the standalone now
>works just fine.
>So I'm happy that I have fixed the problem, and can build my standalone
>again. But I'm kind of worried that something as innocuous as a
>breakpoint in a handler (that isn't being invoked) could cause this kind
>of problems.
>I vaguely remember hearing about problems due to breakpoints - but a
>quick search of Bugzilla and of the list archives didn't find anything.
>Does anyone know of a BZ entry this would relate to, or should I open a
>new one ?
>Thanks for listening
>-- Alex.

Visit us at
IMPORTANT MESSAGE    Internet communications are not secure and therefore
Clearstream International does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.    The information contained in this e-mail is
confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the
addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it,
is prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states
them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of its
affiliates or subsidiaries.    END OF DISCLAIMER

More information about the Use-livecode mailing list