Getting Rev control back after shell()

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Jan 13 14:47:32 EST 2005

RGould8 at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 1/12/05 11:19:29 AM, fde101 at fjrhome.net writes:
>
>>That works fine in Terminal, but Rev still waits for the command to
>>finish.  Quite stupid, really.
>>
>>Under Windows, there is a "start" command that can be jury-rigged to do
>>this.  Not sure how to handle it under OS X/*nix (believe me, I've been
>>trying to figure that one out too).
>>
>>Hmmmm, there's just got to be a way around this - - - - how about some sort
>>of unix "start this command 2 seconds from now" type of call, where you'd get
>>the control back in Rev immediately.   Is there such a thing?

It's probably doable with something like
   create a shell file  (mine.sh)
   put into it the command you want to run   (i.e. mycommand &    - note
the & to make this a background task)
   execute shell(mine.sh)

Sorry - been too many years since I last did it, and I don't have a Unix
system to play on - but I have a couple of brain cells left that
remember doing some variant of this

-- Alex..