Getting Rev control back after shell()

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Thu Jan 13 14:14:06 EST 2005

Yes, but it is disabled under Mac OS X by default, due to "power
management concerns," supposedly.  Under other *NIX platforms, you
could do something like this:

echo "my-command" | at now+1 minute

to schedule a job to take place in 1 minute (unfortunately, seconds
does not seem to work, so 1 minute is the minimal time to wait before
it starts).

This will schedule the job under OS X, but the daemon (system service)
which checks the schedule and starts the jobs is not running by
default.  If you had system admin privileges for sure, you might be
able to start it manually, or there might be a way to enable it, but if
programming for others (or using power management), it may not be the
best idea to do so.